But, by far, the greatest advocate of the global warming cottage-industry is former Senator, Clinton vice-president and failed presidential candidate in 2000 – Al Gore of Tennessee. The former vice-president has won plaudits around the world for his work on global warming, publicized in a best-selling book, an Oscar-winning movie, Power Point lectures, and the Nobel Peace Prize (to match Barack Obama’s – also awarded for nothing remotely associated with actual peace). Gore is at it again with The Future: Six Drivers of Global Change, another political polemic of the progressive/liberal recipe for success. Take care.
The Nobel Prize announcement coincided with the conclusion of a months-long court case in Britain examining whether his book, An Inconvenient Truth, can be shown to British school children. The judge ruled that the movie can be shown in classrooms, but only if accompanied by teacher guidance notes balancing Gore’s “one-sided views.”
“The judge’s nine objections to the Gore movie, which are as follows:
1. Burton found that Gore’s assertion of a rapid rise in sea-levels caused by the melting of icecaps in Antarctica was overly “alarmist.”
2. Gore claimed that the disappearance of year-round snow from the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa was expressly attributable to global warming. The court was not convinced. According to Burton, the scientific “consensus” is that the reasons for the snow recession on Kilimanjaro cannot be established. In fact, “there was abundant evidence that the snow caps on Kilimanjaro had been in retreat decades before greenhouse gas emissions began to rise dramatically in the middle of the century.”
3. Gore cited a scientific study showing that polar bears had drowned by “swimming long distances – up to 60 miles – to find the ice.” Evidence backing up this claim was not produced to the British court. The judge wrote that the only scientific study shown to him indicated “that four polar bears have recently been found drowned because of a storm.”
4. Gore attributed the Hurricane Katrina devastation to global warming. The judge found that there was “insufficient evidence to show that.”
5. The Gore movie depicted the drying up of Lake Chad in central Africa as a prime example of the effects of global warming. Expert testimony in front of the British court suggested that “far more likely causes” were “population increase, over-grazing, and regional climate variability.”
6. Gore suggested an “exact fit” between the rise in carbon dioxide levels and the rise in temperatures over a period of 650,000 years. According to the judge, scientists generally agree that there is “a connection,” between the two phenomena, but claims of an “exact fit” cannot be established.
7. An Inconvenient Truth claimed that citizens of some low-lying inhabited Pacific atolls “have all had to evacuate to New Zealand” because of the inundation of their islands caused by global warming. The judge said that he found no evidence of “any such evacuation having yet happened.”
8. The movie suggested that global warming could shut down “the Ocean Conveyer,” a process by which the Gulf Stream is carried over the North Atlantic to Western Europe. The judge cited a study by the Inter-
governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the co-winner of the Nobel Peace prize, which concluded that it was “very unlikely” that the Ocean Conveyer would be shut down completely, although it might slow down.
9. Gore argued that coral reefs all over the world were bleaching because of global warming and other factors. The judge cited the IPCC view that it was difficult to separate the impact of stresses on coral reefs caused by climate change “from other stresses such as over-fishing and pollution.”
Berit Kjos, fundamentalist Christian author writes that; “In spite of Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth, there’s no scientific consensus on human-caused global warming. His claim that Greenland’s ice will melt, causing oceans to rise twenty feet, is science fiction, not reality. Unadulterated scientific facts show us that, since 2005, Greenland’s ice mass has been growing, not shrinking!” So has its population of polar bears.
“During a medieval period of global warming (warmer than now) during the 11th and 12th Centuries, Norwegian explorers (Vikings) settled on Greenland’s grassy coast. But the climate cooled, and by 1350 AD, ice covered their fields and coastal waters. That “Little Ice Age” – a natural shift in the [numerous] revolving cycles of nature – wiped out the entire community. [No human remains have been found so, it is presumed that the settlers retuned from whence they came.]
However, during that warming period – almost a millennium before the media would blame SUVs for warm days – the Atlantic coasts were not buried by rising oceans. In fact, any slight variation in ocean levels are naturally moderated by increased evaporation during warmer cycles. [Our Maker planned His creation well!]
In spite of today’s deceptive propaganda, more than a hundred [capable] scientists (atmospheric physicists, climatologists, meteorologist, etc.) have dared to publicly disagree with the supposed “global warming” consensus. They warn us that the ominous media predictions are “based solely on unproven scientific theories, imperfect computer models – and the unsupported assumptions that catastrophic global warming follows from the burning of fossil fuels and requires immediate action.”
But the liberal media turns a deaf ear to the rational voices. Mention global warming and the name most likely to come to mind is Al Gore. His 1992 book, Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit helps explain why his disciples defend his deceptive message with religious zeal. It IS religious! M. Scott Peck, the supposedly “Christian” author of The Road Less Traveled, called it a “holy book” that we “must have for our collective salvation.” [Imagine that – progressive/liberals invoking spirituality to make their secular point.]
Notice the emphasis on earth-centered spirituality in the quotes below. Gore’s spiritual blend matches the UN demand for a universal, unifying spirituality based on systems “thinking” – a postmodern version of the timeless pantheistic belief that everything is interconnected. (Remember the story about the Asian butterfly whose flapping wings caused wind in America?) Contemporary change agents have stretched this philosophy to include all systems: political, economic, social, and spiritual.
To help establish this earth-centered spirituality, Gore calls for “a central organizing principle – one agreed to voluntarily.” Then he warns us that…
“Minor shifts in policy, moderate improvement in laws and regulations, rhetoric offered in lieu of genuine change – these are all forms of appeasement, designed to satisfy the public’s desire to believe that sacrifice, struggle and a wrenching transformation of society will not be necessary.”
Only a major crisis would persuade the masses to consent to such a “wrenching transformation” [keep the actual major crisis I am invoking, in this treatise, in mind when we talk about a Convention of the States]. Like Al Gore, the elite members of the Club of Rome knew that well. That’s why they concluded that “global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill.” Local abuses (polluted rivers, industrial waste, etc.) won’t suffice. Unlike “global warming” with its sensationalized consequences, local problems seldom capture the imagination of the global community. They just aren’t scary enough!
To understand the politics behind the environmental movement and its persuasive propaganda, let’s look at the social ambitions that drive it. Its agenda was formed during the sixties, when four overlapping anti-establishment groups joined to form the Green Party in Germany: radical feminists, Marxists (the new Left), peace-niks (the anti-war movement), and hippies seeking spiritual enlightenment. [Sound familiar?]
Militant U.S. “Greens” formed a similar agenda: radical population control, a global welfare system (replacing capitalism with socialism), planetary governance (including national disarmament), and earth-centered spirituality.
The blend of these four counter-culture philosophies shows why pantheism and Marxism permeate environmentalism. Consider the sobering fact that William Reilly, former head of the Environmental Protection Agency, stated that private ownership of land is a “quaint anachronism.” According to former Washington governor Dr. Dixie Lee Ray, he sought the “repeal of the Fifth Amendment to make it easier for government to seize private land.”
But the undisputed leader of the environmental movement during the last three decades has been Canadian billionaire Maurice Strong. Though usually operating behind the scenes, Strong is no minor player in this global contest for the minds of the masses. He led the UN Environmental Programme, directed the 1972 and 1992 UN Conferences on the Environment and Development, founded Planetary Citizens, directed the World Future Society and founded and co-chaired the World Economic Forum. He has been a member of the Club of Rome, trustee of the Rockefeller Foundation and Aspen Institute, a member of the UN Commission on Global Governance (!!!), and the Senior Advisor to the World Bank as well as to former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.
Mr. Strong also founded the Earth Council. Working closely with Steven Rockefeller, Mikhail Gorbachev and Robert Mueller, he oversaw the drafting of the UN Earth Charter, which is housed in the notorious Ark of Hope. If this Charter wins the consent of “the people,” it would only be a matter of time before its rules replace all rights granted by the U.S. Constitution.
The Earth Charter opens with this declaration: “We stand at a critical moment in Earth’s history, a time when humanity must choose its future….” It continues,
“As never before in history, common destiny beckons us to seek a new beginning. Such renewal is the promise of these Earth Charter principles…. This requires a change of mind and heart. It requires a new sense of global INTERdependence [systems thinking] and universal responsibility. … The partnership of government, civil society, and business [like what we currently have in the united States] is essential for effective governance.”
This global contract clashes with Christianity. “Fundamental changes,” it tells us, “are needed in our values, institutions, and ways of living.” A new set of beliefs, values and behavior must unify “the one human family” to ensure lasting peace.
This grand purpose not only demands favorable propaganda – the doomsday predictions that trade scientific facts for intentional deception. It also calls for unthinkable censorship. Contrary voices must be silenced. It’s happening in the UK. “Only a few years ago the Greens were merely a fringe group, today they are at the center of British politics,” wrote Paul Johnson in his Forbes Magazine article titled “The Menace of the Lobby:”
“This is largely because of the backing they have received from a majority of scientists over the issue of global warming, especially the unproved theory that it is caused largely by human activities. The Royal Society, the most prestigious of British scientific institutions, has thrown its weight strongly behind the Greens. Scientists who are known to be skeptical of global warming find it hard to get academic jobs and impossible to receive university funding for their research … [just like in the United States].”’
And there’s the rub. Scientists are selling their academic souls to the “green” movement and the politicians who prey on their constituent’s fears – fears amplified by scientific untruths promulgated by compromised scientists – in order to obtain funding for their research – research that they will sell to the highest bidder for more funding. It’s a shame – the shame – of the entire scientific community!
“How many Greens are there? It is assumed they number in the millions…. The environmental fervor of most Greens borders on fanatical. Some call for the denial of climate change to be made a criminal offense, along the lines of legislation in European countries that makes denial of the Holocaust unlawful…. As a result, a mass of legislation is being turned into law, subjecting any activities that increase greenhouse gas emissions or are seen as ‘crimes against nature’ to severe financial penalties…. It won’t be long before all households feel their effects.”
America follows close behind. Under the banner of Sustainable Development, the UN/US plan for government control over all water, land, food and housing is progressing at full speed. Few Americans are even aware of the vast networks of regulatory agencies and community partnerships that are implementing the new system through Agenda 21 – often disguised as Smart Growth or other pleasing labels for this all-consuming UN agenda. While most of these new rules and regulation bypass Congress, some do not. A recent article titled, “Bill ties climate to national security” warns us that…
“The CIA and Pentagon would for the first time be required to assess the national security implications of climate change under proposed legislation intended to elevate global warming to a national defense issue…. The measure also would order the Pentagon to undertake a series of war games to determine how global climate change could affect US security….
“John J. Hamre, who served as deputy secretary of defense in the Clinton administration, said global warming couched in security terms would make if far more difficult for politicians to ignore. ‘What makes this interesting is the clear effort to make the politics of global warming broader.'”
Environmentalists and the Obama administration said the rules will improve public health and prove the U.S. is serious about fighting global warming. So the truth suffers for political priorities and science be damned. Fortunately, Obama’s successor pulled the U.S. out of the Paris Accords, which would have severely hampered the struggling economy of the “Obama Recovery” while allowing China and India, the world’s largest polluters, to continue business as usual with no penalties.
Recall the saying; “The fish rots from the head.” All of the Obama administration’s actions described above happen for one reason. The President himself allowed/ permitted/encouraged them because his personal moral and ethical compass points the way to corrupting the Constitutional system for his own political gain.
Meanwhile, the evidence against massive man-made global warming is overwhelming. Here are just a few links that tell the “other” side:
“Their experiments confirmed that cosmic rays, by ionizing molecular particles, provide nuclei for condensation of water vapor, thereby significantly influencing cloud cover on the planet. In periods of high electro-magnetic activity in the sun, such as occurred during the past century, cosmic rays are deflected, resulting in a reduction of clouds. This effect plus greater direct radiation from the sun [sun-spots, solar-flares] is likely a significant factor in global warming.”
“The past, both recent and geologic, has seen large and rapid natural changes in temperature. Any onset of warmer temperatures [which increases the rate of evaporation] would be expected to produce a drop in sea level, not a rise.”
“In almost a point-by-point refutation of Al Gore’s unsupportable rant that ‘the debate is over; man is warming the Earth’, courageous scientists explain technically but lucidly why nearly every cherry-picked fact in Gore’s movie ‘An Inconvenient Truth’ is contradicted by science…. Man is, in fact, all but irrelevant to global climate, as the sun and its accompanying solar system rule.”
A short but amazing video clip backs this evidence. It shows the infinitely vast – and the inconceivably tiny – wonders of the universe we inhabit: Secret Worlds: The Universe Within. Please watch it, then ask yourself, “How could such an astounding universe simply evolve from nothing? How can man presume to manage it?”
And how can Al Gore claim to have all the answers when honest scientists are just beginning to uncover the unfathomable mysteries of God’s creation? His shallow “certainties” ignore the cyclical forces and natural fluctuation that have influenced the earth’s warming and cooling phases through the ages. They include:
- Sunspot activity (increased solar turbulence, which heat the earth in 9 to 13-year cycles). During the coldest years in the “Little Ice Age,” there were “virtually no sunspots at all…”
- Major volcanic eruptions (can blast millions of tons of particles and gas into the stratosphere, blocking solar rays, and cooling the earth for years – see Krakatoa).
- The gravitational pull of the moon (affects tidal forces and triggers volcanoes)
- The annual decrease of stratospheric ozone each southern winter (our summer) when the sun’s seasonal absence prevents ultraviolet rays from interacting with oxygen and producing ozone.
- The earth’s magnetic field (deflects storm tracks)
In addition to the nine fallacies found by the British courts, here are some more that conflict with scientific fact:
- Polar bears “dying”. Four bears died in a storm. Four. Meanwhile, there are 25,000 polar bears today compared to 5000 in 1940.
- Coral reefs “bleaching”. It was caused by an unusual El Nino pattern, not global warming.
- CO2 “melting mile-thick ice”. Gore overstates the effect of CO2 ten times greater than even the IPCC’s highest estimate.
- Hurricane Caterina “man-made”. Air temperatures in the area were the coldest in 25 years, not warmest.
- Japanese typhoons set “a new record”. Tropical cyclone frequency has fallen in the past 50 years.
- Hurricanes “getting stronger”. They haven’t in 60 years.
- Big storm insurances losses “increasing”. Comparable insured losses in hurricane-prone areas were lower in 2005 than 1905.
- Mumbai “flooding”. There’s been no increase in rainfall over 48 years.
- Severe tornadoes “more frequent”. Severe tornadoes have fallen in frequency for the last 50 years. Tropical storms are also at the lowest frequency in decades.
- The sun “heats the Arctic ocean”. The ocean emits more heat than it receives from the sun.
- Arctic “warming fastest”. It’s actually 1 degree cooler now than in 1940.
- Greenland ice sheet “unstable”. The ice sheet did not break up during the last three times when the temperature was 5 degrees hotter than today.
- Himalayan glacial-melt waters “failing”. The snow melt which provides water has not decreased in 40 years.
- Peruvian glaciers “disappearing”. For the past 10,000 years the Peruvian ‘glacier’ region has been mostly ice free.
- Mountain glaciers worldwide “disappearing”. Human CO2 output has had no effect on the already-present glacier shortening trend.
- Sahara Desert “drying”. In the past 25 years, the Sahara shrunk by 165,000 square miles due to increased rainfall.
- West Antarctic ice sheet “unstable”. Antarctic ice is at its thickest in nearly 30 years.
- Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves “breaking up”. Gore concentrates on the 2% of Antarctica that is experiencing some warming, while consciously neglecting to mention the 98% of Antarctica that is cooling.
- Larsen B Ice Shelf “broke up because of ‘global warming’”. The ice shelfs have been breaking up for 10,000 years ago.
- Mosquitoes “climbing to higher altitudes”. The graph says it all: Wrong.
- Many tropical diseases “spread through ‘global warming’”. None of the diseases quoted are tropical, none are affected by increasing temperature, and some even cause more harm at colder temperatures.
- West Nile virus in the US “spread through ‘global warming’”. West Nile virus flourishes in any climate, from desert to ice.
- Carbon dioxide is “pollution”. [Tell that to the trees.] Forests are thriving due to the increasing CO2 levels.
- The European heat wave of 2003 “killed 35,000”. Cold snaps kill people, but the IPCC does not include the number of lives that would be saved due to less cold weather.
- Pied flycatchers “cannot feed their young”. A few tens of miles north, and there is no notable difference.
- Gore’s bogus pictures and film footage. Gore plays fast and loose with falsely used images.
- The Thames Barrier “closing more frequently”. It is closed to retain tidal water in the Thames.
- Gore states that “No fact…in dispute by anybody.” That’s just a lie!
Next time: Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s inconvenient truths.